Former Safety and Security Minister Sydney Mufamadi has on Monday said it was not he but Tony Leon who issued a directive that led to investigations into the late Winnie Madikizela-Mandela refuting claims that he ordered the investigations.
The documentary on Madikizela-Mandela aired on eNCA, and amongst other revelations, also addressed the organised disinformation campaign, known as StratCom section, that was aimed at tarnishing the image of Madikizela-Mandela as well as former statesman Nelson Mandela.
Mufamadi who was not seen at the veteran’s funeral on Saturday said he chose to observe a period of mourning because he thought it would have been wrong for him to cause damage to Madikizela-Mandela’s legacy.
Addressing the media in Johannesburg to set the record straight Mufumadi said many comrades were not happy about how the Mandela Football Club was run.
On the accusations made in the documentary he said the then Head of the Murder and Robbery Squad Henk Heslinga should have known that operational issues were not the Minister’s duties, also rejecting claims that he had knowledge of the money and resources that were used to carry the investigations into Madikizela-Mandela.
He questioned how the documentary had received awards when clearly there were ethical issues with the way the documentary was presented.
Mufumadi believed he should have been given the opportunity to respond to the accusations contained in the documentary by the maker.
“This is a right I would promote and defend even if a victim is not myself," said Mufumadi.
Mufumadi clarified that the most important task he had had was to demilitarise the police.
“I received delegations of people who operated in StratCom and divisions of Vlakplaas. They did all they could to try and hide all the things they did during apartheid. I understand why they didn’t even want their own children to know what they did.”
He went on to say that the leadership of the African National Congress (ANC) made collective submissions to the Truth and Reconciliation Committee (TRC) to own up to the actions carried out by the ruling party and expose the context in which its members on the ground carried out actions against the rule of law.
“Madikizela-Mandela went to the TRC with a conviction of kidnapping. I also went to the same commission with a conviction of kidnapping,” he explained.
Mufamadi questioned why the people featured in the documentary think that they could tell Madikizela-Mandela’s story well.
“Whether it happened deliberately or inadvertently, the story assimilates Madikizela-Mandela’s legacy,” he highlighted.
He said they always suspected that some members of the Mandela Football Club were not genuine but they had no proof.
Mufumadi revealed that he nominated Madikizela-Mandela to be considered to receive National Orders in 2016.
“You don’t destroy someone and nominate them for an award.”
He went on to dismiss allegations that the ANC had anything to do with the divorce between Madikizela-Mandela and Nelson Mandela.
“We will never disown Madikizela-Mandlela’s legacy.”
He said the recent claims could set back the country and reverse gains because of fighting over nothing.
Producer of the controversial documentary Pascale Lamche said the briefing has vindicated her.
“Everything I said in the documentary was sustained. The important thing is the truth. If the results of today’s briefing had been that he had no knowledge of the investigations or Henk Heslinga then you could discredit me,” she said.
Lamche offered an apology about the fact that she didn’t give Mufamadi time to respond on the allegations that were made public in her documentary.